The best thing about starting a new year is the motivation you find to start making changes to improve your life. One place where most people like to start (besides finances) is their careers. If you’re not happy in your current field or workplace, now is the time to start thinking about where you want to be in the next three to five years.
Here are some tips to figure out what direction your career is taking:
- Do I have the proper training to advance in my current position?
- Am I able to talk to my supervisor about advancement and get the support I need?
- Are the projects I’m offered adding value to my work experience?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no”, then it may be time to pack up and move on. If you’re not quite ready to leave it all behind, here are some ways to possibly save what could otherwise be a sinking ship:
- Talk to your boss about your expectations of advancement and determine how realistic that goal is given the organization’s long-term goals.
- Take advantage of training opportunities that your organization offers.
- Try to work on high profile projects that are sure to catch upper management’s attention.
Good luck and be sure to share tips that helped you turn your career around.