This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s super easy to make and delicious! A coworker was kind enough to bring a batch of these pralines into the office and I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve changed the recipe a tad over time to find the perfect flavor combination.
I want to point out a couple of things you will need in order to make this delicious treat: You will need wax paper and a candy thermometer.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons cooked puréed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1. Mix the buttermilk, butter, and sugar in a saucepan.
- 2. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Add the pecans and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until your candy thermometer reads 239°F.
- 4. Add the puréed sweet potatoes, vanilla, and baking soda. Stir rapidly until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- 5. Drop the mixture immediately by tablespoon onto waxed paper that has been sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray. Allow to cool and set.