When it’s time to look at day cares a little bit of panic sets in. You are just getting the hang of things with your little one and now you have to leave them with a stranger 5 days a week so you can go to work. A sad reality for many parents. But what’s worse is not knowing whether or not you have asked the right questions when considering dayc are options. As there are a plethora of day care options from, at home day care, day care centers, to churches, au pairs, nanny’s etc. Choosing which daycare options is right for you and your little one is no easy feat. But, what you can have a grasp on is what information you should know going in. So here are a few questions you should ask when considering day care options for your little one.
- Are children required to have shots?
- How many children does the facility maintain?
- What is the staff to child ratio?
- What is your policy regarding sick kids?
- Do I have to pay for days when my child not in daycare due to illness or vacation?
- Do you charge extra if I’m late to pick up my child?
- What safety/security policies do you have in place?
- Can I drop in to observe my child?
- Are you licensed?
- What is the visitation policy?
- Are you trained in infant CPR/First Aid?
- What is the curriculum or what activities do you conduct?
- How much time do the kids spend outside?
- What disciplinary techniques do you use?
- Will my child’s progress or day be communicated to me daily? Weekly? If so, how?
- How often is the daycare cleaned? To include toys, cots etc.?