I pulled out this recipe after being asked what to take to a friend who is at home recovering from surgery. This is a perfect little treat that you can package for your kids or drop in your care package to a family member or friend.
Write a review
- 1-cup light brown sugar
- 1-cup white sugar
- 1/2-cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1-cup pecan halves
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
What else you’ll need
- Parchment paper
- Candy thermometer
- Cookie sheet
- 1. Toast the pecans.
- 2. Place pecan halves on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 300°F for 6 minutes, turning once. Set aside and allow to cool down. Have a piece of parchment paper.
- 3. Combine the brown and white sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan.
- 4. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon, cook the mixture over medium to medium-high heat until it reaches 240°F on a candy thermometer (this should take 20-25 minutes).
- 5. Immediately remove pan from heat; add pecans and vanilla extract.
- 6. Stir continuously until the mixture is somewhat thickened and creamy, but has not entirely lost its gloss (about a 1 minute).
- 7. Working quickly and using a tablespoon, lay mixture 2 inches apart onto parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt, and allow to cool down.