Coming up with nursery ideas for your first child’s room is almost as difficult as picking out their name! I spent weeks trying to figure out what would be the right amount of nursery furniture to fill the room with. I spent even more time trying to find the perfect curtains and shades of blue to no avail. Despite all this, I’m super proud of how my son’s room turned out although I’m still on the fence about getting a rug to tie the room together.
First things, first! Jackson’s room use to be an office, so it started from humble beginnings:
Then came the paint color. I know this seems a little backwards (crib before painting), but it took me weeks to find the right shade of blue for the accent wall! I finally decided on this very deep navy blue shade. Although it’s dark, it also is very soothing…something Jackson will hopefully appreciate!
I got this idea of putting baby Jackson’s name on the wall from HGTV photos and Pinterest. Yes, I know Jackson won’t be able to read, but who cares?! It’s super cute and helped us really stick to a baby name because these letters weren’t cheap. Once the name was up…that was it!
Then came the fun part! The dresser, changing table, and pictures. This is where I struggled the most because I didn’t want to be one of those parents that spent an arm and a leg on their child’s nursery. I started out with the best of intentions. I searched bargain brands, Target, WalMart, Babies R Us, and Amazon. My original plan was to spend no more than $1k on baby Jackson’s furniture (including the crib). I failed…miserably! I became one of “those” parents who started thinking their child needed environmentally-sustainable furniture and started looking more at design than price tags. I did learn that you don’t need much for the room, however! This revelation came as the bill increased!
I spent the most time trying to find horizontal-striped curtains. And of course because I was looking for them, they were no where to be found. I really tried to find items that made the room stand out and thought the best way to do this was to have some sort of design on the curtains. Although I was convinced it was too girly at first, I opted for the polka dot curtains and got a really good deal on these…I’m actually pretty happy with how they turned out.
And so we finally ended up with this…
Ok, now I’m considering a little a little applique to put on the wall to drape over Jackson’s name…I guess a mother’s (and daddy’s) work is never done!