The holiday season has finally kicked off! It’s the time of the year for greeting cards, office holiday parties, family portraits, Christmas shopping and let’s not forget Holiday decorating! We all want our houses to look like the ones featured in magazines, but who has the budget to do that? Well, there are fun and affordable ways to decorate your house to get that same look! The focus always seems to be on the Christmas tree. However, there are countless ways to transform your home and make it sparkle. Here are a few to get your creative juices flowing.
Create a festive first impression!
- Start with something as easy as your front door. Wrap your door like a present. Add a thick ribbon vertical, one horizontal across the door and place a large bow in the center. Who doesn’t want to come to a house that invites them in with a gift! Why stop there.
Be creative with your tablescapes!
- Grab your favorite wrapping paper and apply it to your table like a runner. The great part about wrapping paper is it comes in countless patterns and colors. For just a few dollars you can have a beautiful backdrop to your holiday dinner.
- Next, grab all those glass vases and bowls you have hidden in the cabinet and fill them with color coordinated ornaments and place a series of them in various sizes on your table as a fun centerpiece. This is a perfect way to display all your fragile and most treasured ornaments.
Add some drama!
- Do you want a little wow factor over your table but you do not have a stunning chandelier? You can make the one you already have drip in elegance by hanging a decorated wreath upside down under it and add ornaments and crystals!
- Christmas wreaths can get expensive; try this trick. Make wreaths out of dollar store bows. All you need is a hot glue gun, Styrofoam wreath and bows of different sizes to make one.
- Want to really surprise your holiday guests? Try hanging decorations from the ceiling! Enhance your kitchen island or your foyer with those same small gift wrapped presents hung from the ceiling along with ornaments. With some simple fishing line (yes I said fishing line) and some removable hooks you will WOW your company with the unexpected.
Go Green. Reuse and Recycle!
- Of course you cannot forget the mantle! Here is a cool tip, go to your local nursery or home improvement store and ask if they have any clippings off the trees. You can often get them for free and make your own garland or simply lay them across your mantle. This is an easy way to bring in the fresh scent of the holidays, especially if Christmas tree is artificial.
- Who says presents belong only under the tree? Most of us have card board boxes laying around. Recycle them by wrapping them as presents and place them on your mantel.
- We are hoping this is the year you will try something new and fresh with your holiday décor. If so, the last question is what do you do with the old decorations? If you have young children, what child wouldn’t want to have their very own Winter Wonderland in their bedroom! Let the kids decorate their doors and windows with the old garland and ornaments. Put a small (3ft) Christmas tree in their room and let them loose! If you don’t have children, there are always families in the community that will treasure those decorations.
- Probably the best part of Christmas is the family traditions. Create your own this year and personalize it with these free printables from http://dollarstoremom.com/2013/11/25-free-christmas-printables/. The ones you love will remember and cherish those special personalized details!
Whatever creative ideas you use to decorate this year, have fun and remember you do not have to hurt your wallet to do it!
Happy Holidays from Kenya and Lea
Image: Altogether Christmas, Color With Dee