Eating clean removes all processed and refined foods from your diet. No processed sugars, flours, wheat, pasta etc. Eliminating these foods from your diet aids in weight loss, removing toxins from your body, managing diseases and aids in proper nutrition.
6 Basic Principles
- Eat whole foods – Think what you can grow and eat from off a farm. This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, nuts and seeds.
- Avoid processed foods – If it has a label with a word you can’t pronounce, avoid it.
- Eliminate refined sugar – Refined sugar and sweeteners equal empty calories.
- Eat 5-6 meals a day – eating smaller portions helps you stay fuller longer.
- Cook your own meals – make your food at home so you know what’s in them.
- Combine protein with carbs – lean meats with brown rice or a sweet potato.
Why Eat Clean?
When you eat clean you feel better overall and are much healthier. Filling your body with whole foods helps to keep you healthy and helps you avoid feeling sluggish or heavy from eating poorly. Often times the consumption of processed foods can make our bodies feel awful, which can result in feeling, bloated, sluggish, tired and contribute to the development of certain diseases like diabetes or obesity.
Healthy Eating Clean Options
- Beans and Lentils Beans and lentils are a great superfood because they are low in fat and high in complex carbs and dietary fiber. They are also an excellent source of protein. Some options include black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans.
- Fruit Fruit superfoods have a high antioxidant concentration, which fights harmful substances in the body. Some examples include blueberries, goji berries, acai berries, grapefruit, and avocado.
- Fish Fish is filled with omega-3 fatty acids, its full of protein, and fish oil is great for the skin. All of these things help to fight cancer and strengthen your heart and immune system. Great fish options include salmon, trout, sardines, and herring.
- Greens and veggies Have the highest concentration of easily digestible nutrients with essential vitamins and minerals. Some greens include kale, spinach, wheat and barley, tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Nuts and seeds Nuts and seeds reduce cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. They also curb hunger because of their huge protein content. A few unsalted nuts, almonds, or walnuts oats are perfect.
- Yogurt & kefir The probiotics found in cultured milk help with digestion and provide protein to the body.
Image: Diet Free and Healthy