My coworker is a baker extraordinaire. She can literally bake anything and everything you ask. Just tell her what you want and voila! So, when she brought these suckers to work one day I HAD to have the recipe!! She calls these her utility Blondie’s as they are easy to make and are like a utility player- they work in lots of different settings (picnic, school lunch, office party, etc.). They are also terrific because you can pull them together with almost any combination of fun mix-ins. I have made them twice and neither batch made it out the house! (I know that’s fat don’t judge me lol). But even still check out this very easy recipe. You will thank me later!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 34 minutes
• ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
• 1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
•1 large egg, room temperature
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
•½ teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1½- 1¾ cup of mix-ins (example- mixed chips or chopped candy bars or chopped dried fruit and nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Stir together melted butter and brown sugar in mixer fitted with paddle attachment until well incorporated (about 2 minutes). Add egg and vanilla, and mix until well-blended.
3. In small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter/sugar mixture. Stir just until combined. Stir in the mix-ins.
4. Transfer batter to prepared pan and level. Bake 30-34 minutes, or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan before cutting into ~16 2-inch squares.
Mix in ideas:
• chopped pistachios, mini chocolate chips and chopped dried tart cherries/craisins
• milk chocolate and peanut butter chips
• dark chocolate candy bar, heath chips and crushed pretzels
• chopped dried apricots, almonds and dark chocolate chips
• crushed oreos and white chocolate chips
Image: Prepared Pantry