I’m one of those folks who did not believe in drinking their vegetables. In fact, it sounded kind of disgusting to think that I would blend spinach with fruit and expect it to taste good. Alas, that’s exactly what happened after I decided to go on a green smoothie cleanse. This recipe does include avocado, which is an acquired taste, so add another ingredient that is considered a healthy fat if you can’t tolerate the avocado taste. Another awesome healthy fat can include almonds! It’s all about experimenting. And although it’s not listed below, you will need some sort of blender. If you’re not interested in buying a commercial brand (can’t say I blame you), then try a simpler option like the Ninja. It blends really well and is easy to clean.
One last thing to note is that you should plan on using all-natural, low sugar apple juice. If you’re worried about the calories, then replace the apple juice with water. Now that we got that out of the way…enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 2 cups stemmed and chopped spinach or kale
- 1 apple—unpeeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1. Prep your fruit and veggies. Make sure to core and chop your apple into manageable pieces, but leave the skin on.
- 2. Thoroughly wash the spinach and avocado. Do not peel that avocado. If you’re replacing the avocado with almonds, make sure to soak them approximately 3 hours before blending.
- 3. Combine the apple juice, spinach, chopped apple, and avocado (or almonds) in a blender and pulse until smooth, about 1 minute, adding water to reach the desired consistency.