One of my favorite cookies to make (outside of Snicker doodles) is my oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. For some reason, the oats and raisins mixed together with all that sugar reminds me of my childhood days when my Mom would bake me something delicious to eat after school. The recipe is simple and can be made with the most basic of ingredients and kitchen tools.
In order to make delicious oatmeal cookies, you will need to have the right ingredients. What you see pictured below is: raisins, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, kosher salt, slow-cooking Quaker Oats, a cup of softened, unsalted butter, dark brown sugar, and two large eggs. Not pictured, but included in this recipe is flour and granulated sugar.
Before I continue, I have to give a shout out to my favorite kitchen tool…my Kitchen Aid mixer! It makes my life easier and it’s actually easy to clean up after mixing. I love ya, Lucy!!!
Okay, so the first step making the perfect oatmeal cookie is to preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then mix the dry ingredients like the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a small mixing bowl.
This next part is my favorite…mixing all the wet ingredients in the mixer. So you will be mixing together the softened, unsalted butter, sugar, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. As you can see I’ve placed all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl below.
You’ll mix this well until the mixture lightens up a bit! Like this!
Stir in the dry ingredients into this mixture. After mixing in the dry ingredients well…add the oats and raisins.
After everything is properly stirred in, your dough should look like this…
Now form tiny balls and place them on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Some people use fancy cookie scoopers, but I do it the old-fashioned way by hand! Don’t forget to spray the pan!!
Bake for 13 minutes and viola!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups oats (not instant)
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt) in a small bowl.
- 3. Mix the wet ingredients (softened butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and dark brown sugar) in a mixing bowl.
- 4. Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl of wet ingredients. Make sure that all of the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- 5. Stir in oats and raisins into the mixing bowl.
- 6. Form small 1 1/2 inch balls of dough and place them on a greased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- 7. Bake for 13 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown in color.
- 8. Remove from oven and let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for roughly 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.