Source: Food and Wine
It’s that time of year again! I honestly can’t believe Thanksgiving is around the corner. I can’t wait to get together with family and catch up on all the things going on in their lives. I also can’t wait to share with them this delicious sweet potato pie recipe.
If you’re not one who loves baking…hear me out. Sure it’s easy to just pick up a pie from the grocery store and pop it in the oven, but where’s the fun in that?? Truth be told, a sweet potato pie is just about the easiest pie you can make and you can add all sorts of yummy spices to put your own twist on this fall classic. You can make your own pie crust (stay tuned for the recipe) or you can use a ready-made pie crust from the store.
Look how easy it is…
Try this recipe and never bring a store bought pie to a family meal again!
- 2 cups fresh sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sized)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 5 oz. cream cheese
- 4 tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie shell (or homemade pie crust)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pierce fresh sweet potatoes several times with a knife (be careful), place them in a microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in the microwave for 15 minutes (or until tender).
- Once cool, remove the peel from the sweet potatoes. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat sweet potatoes smooth.
- Add cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add sugar and half and half. Beat 5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add butter, vanilla, eggs, and cinnamon. Blend well and pour into pie shell.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. You want the mixture to fill the entire shell. Remove from oven and let cool.