If you’re anything like me, you’re still searching for that perfect skin remedy that is both affordable and actually works! I was inspired to create my own all-natural facial crème after receiving a shocking spa consultation about the state of my skin. To make a long story short, this woman basically told me that the cleanser, toner, and moisturizer that I’ve been using every day for the past year shouldn’t be used for ladies with dry skin (the exact skin type I have) and that I wasted my money (big surprise there!). Talk about a wake-up call! How many of us are walking around using the wrong facial products? The woman had the nerve to look at me as if my skin should have fallen off by now. What’s worse (and perhaps funnier) is the woman accusing JANE of reliving her pre-teen days by using over-the-counter products not suitable for grown women (Clean & Clear anyone?). So, instead of spending another dollar on skin treatments not made for real girls like us, I decided to make my own facial mask using common items that can be found in the grocery store.
Before I give you the lowdown on my beauty secrets, I want to pass on some helpful tips about the ingredients just in case you want to whip up a facial mask of your own. The crème for dry skin contains olive oil, which is said to have rejuvenating qualities and it’s sold in really big bottles which means multiple uses (bring on the savings!). It’s not too thick, but the consistency allows for it to properly moisturize the skin. There’s also papaya and avocado between the two crèmes. These two are also believed to revitalize the skin, with each improving the overall look and condition of the skin after only two weeks. And last but certainly not least, one of the crèmes contains almond oil; so if you are allergic to any type of nut, then do not use the dry skin mask recipe.
Now that we’ve covered that, let the beautification begin! Slap one of these bad boys on once a week (preferably a day you have nothing to do) and catch up on your Real Housewives of Atlanta episodes.
ANN’S ALMOND AVO MASK (For ladies with dry skin):
Time commitment: 30 minutes or equivalent to watching Kenya go ham on somebody!
- 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- Contents of 2 Vitamin E capsules
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 plastic spray bottle
- 1 small bowl
Make the Mask
- Pour almond oil and Vitamin E contents into a spray bottle and shake until completely mixed. Set aside.
- Combine avocado, olive oil, plain yogurt, and honey into a small bowl until all of the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Spread the mixture over the driest areas of your face first. Then, place the remaining mixture over the rest of your face.
- Let sit for 20 minutes and rinse.
- While your face is still wet, spritz your almond oil and Vitamin E mixture on your face and massage into your skin.
ANN’S PAPAYA MASK (For ladies with oily skin):
Time commitment: 30 minutes
- Flesh of 1/4 papaya
- 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- 1/2 cup of Epsom salt
- 1 peppermint tea bag
- 3 cups of water
- 1 small bowl
- 1 small towel
Make the Mask:
- In a small bowl, mash your papaya with a small fork.
- Slowly blend in the yogurt and let the mixture sit.
- Dissolve the Epsom salts in a pot of water (3 cups of water). Drop in tea bag and bring to a boil.
- Sit with your face over the pot for 3 minutes with your head covered with a towel to seal in the steam.
- Remove the towel after 3 minutes and spread the papaya mixture all over your face.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse.
PRESTO – drier skin and closer to that gorgeous glow we’re aiming for!